From Concrete to Bamboo: my crash course through education

FORUM - ISSN 0963-8253
Volume 62 Number 2 (2020)

From Concrete to Bamboo: my crash course through education
CLOVER HOGAN pages 225-226
DOI: 10.15730/forum.2020.62.2.225

Abstract

Clover Hogan is a 20-year-old climate activist, researcher on turning anxiety into agency from Australia, and the founder of Force of Nature. In this article, she talks about how education is a 'system of rote, churning out worker bees for the hive' and, through education, children are manipulated and scared into abiding by the regulatory rules. It was only when she went to Green School in Bali that she realised this, because they weren't conventional and took a more holistic approach to teaching and developing young minds by working on all three learning modalities, using the environment surrounding them. She then decided to upturn the standardised education system and show that students aren't just only made to pass exams; they are a whole mixture of things, and it's only when a school begins to develop their understandings of nature that flexibility in the system will happen. And those lessons make those students more equipped to be happy and to help the planet in every way [written by Lucy Gibbons on behalf of Clover Hogan].

Download Full Text PDF

To cite this article
CLOVER HOGAN (2020) From Concrete to Bamboo: my crash course through education, FORUM, 62(2), 225-226. https://doi.org/10.15730/forum.2020.62.2.225

Share this